Wednesday, March 16, 2016

DIY Box Valance

I could never find the right 'window treatments' that I loved enough to spend the money on, so I figured I would make them myself!  If you can't buy it, make it!
I researched the idea 3 years ago when my mom had a huge window to decorate and we couldn't find anything big enough. 

This is my first DIY blog so bear with me! 

First step: Measure your window from inside edge to inside edge. 
You will need to add 1.5 inches on each side (To hang over edges of window)
and add 6 inches to each end for the corners & sides. 
It's much better to have more fabric then just enough! 

For example: 
Window width - 30 inches
plus 15 (3 + 12) = 45 Inches

Fabric is usually measured in yards so I would use a inches to yards converstion on google to fingure out how much fabric to cut.  45 Inches = 1.25 yards.

To begin, tools you will need: 
- Glue gun
- Extra glue sticks
- Pins
- Ruler
- Pencil
- Box Cutter


Materials: 
- Fabric
- Foam Board
- Batting


1. Let's get started!  You will need to cut the foam board into 4 pieces.  A lot of times I have to glue sections together, especially with the longer valances. 


 2. Use the box cutter to make straight cuts.  Fold the board at the cut and slice down the other side to make a clean cut.



 3. Voila! You have all your pieces for your valance.  I cut up a few extra pieces to use as reinforcers.


 4. Start glueing the pieces together.  You have to glue quickly because it dries fast!  Glue the side and adhere it to the inside of the panel so the edges line up.


(here is an example of one of the reinforements I made)


 5. Once all the sides are glued on and you have a 'box' (minus one side), it's time for the batting to be pinned on.


Pins should be entered at an angle so they don't poke through the other side. 


6. I usually start with the top side.  Make sure to pull the batting tight so there aren't any wrinkles. 


7. The corners are tricky!  Cut the batting so it can be easily folded.






8. Once all the batting is pinned on.  Line up the fabric and start pinning!  Make sure the sides are long enough to fold over the edges.






 9. Again, the corners are tricky.  Here are a few step-by-step photos to show how I folded the corners.






10.  Here it is! Finished Product!


 Before:



After:






No comments:

Post a Comment